Monday, August 6, 2018

ALA International Member - Sara Ulloa

I am ALA INTERNATIONAL SPOTLIGHT highlights and recognizes talented international members from different regions around the world. The inaugural international spotlight features Sara Ulloa, a school librarian in Peru.

Can you tell us about yourself and your library?
Sara Ulloa photoMy name is Sara Ulloa. I am a school librarian from Peru. I work at San Silvestre School, a British school in Lima, which has three libraries: Early Years, Primary and Secondary Section. I am in charge of the Secondary Section. Our library is bright and welcoming. Every year we update our collections in order to adjust it to the curriculum; we do it in collaboration with teachers and students. My favourite part is to update the Fiction collection because it is important to keep it alive for the pleasure of young readers. I like helping students to find a book they connect with. Also, I assist students with their research and subsequent referencing skills. I find being a school librarian brings out my creativity and puts in practice my other studies such as graphic design, marketing and photography. It is my hope to pursue a career in the area of Information Literacy.

Welcome to the library photo
Why is it important to be an international librarian today?
It is important for me to be an international librarian today because we are living in a global society. As an international librarian who comes from a country where libraries barely exist, knowing other experiences is essential. It gives me a wide perspective of the career and enhances my knowledge considering most of the research in Library Science comes from countries where their library community and policy is stronger. Also, being an international librarian connects me with colleagues from around the world who share interests in my area, school libraries. It is inspiring for me to be connected with people who are making great contributions within our profession.

Tell us three words that describe you?
Enthusiastic, curious, learner.

How has ALA helped you in your career?
It awakes my library conscience, which I define as having the sense of free access to basic services for reading, information and the world’s cultures; I consider this a basic human right but not everyone has access to it. It has allowed me to see that having a library service network within Peru is a dream that can be achieved. It has helped me to realize that having more professional librarians working in the field is a necessity. Sadly, it has also made me realize how far my country has yet to go with regard to these issues.  The ALA has also given me the opportunity for professional development. For instance, I attended its annual conference in Chicago last year and found it was amazing. It had never occurred to me that I would be surrounded by thousands of colleagues and I would be meeting authors like Raina Telgemeier, Cece Bell and Veronica Roth, among other famous personalities. Attending this type of conferences increase my motivation and learning continuum.


No comments: